Where can parents go if they have questions? Are there resources or supports for parents and families?

Last Updated: 07/27/2023

General Resources for Parents and Families

  • Kaleidoscope: Kaleidoscope supports LGBTQIA+ youth and their families in building healthy relationships, strong social connections and critically needed life skills. Kaleidoscope is located in Voorhees, NJ and offers individual coaching, support groups, parent supports, and mental health services statewide.
  • Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG): PFLAG is one of the oldest organizations in the country that supports the families, friends, and allies of the LGBTQIA+ community. PFLAG has local chapters across the United States, including groups for families with transgender children. Find a New Jersey chapter near you.
  • Youth and Family Pride Center (LifeTies in Mercer County): LifeTies' Youth and Family Pride Center provides an array of services for LGBTQIA+ youth as well as their families including support groups for young people and families, short term counseling, mentorship services, and more.
  • HiTOPS: HiTOPS provides inclusive, youth-informed sex education and LGBTQIA+ support for young people throughout New Jersey including youth support groups, parent support groups, free gender affirming clothing, and more.

Mental Health

If you or your child needs mental health support, refer to this article.

If you or your child is having suicidal thoughts, call or text 988 to connect with a trained crisis counselor who is there to help 24/7. Or visit the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline to chat online with a counselor or find additional resources.

Health Care

If your child needs access to gender affirming health care, refer to this article.


School districts must comply with New Jersey laws that prohibit harassment, intimidation, and bullying, and require each district Board of Education to implement a policy prohibiting harassment, intimidation, or bullying at school, school-sponsored events, and school buses.

In addition, schools must take action to end harassment and prevent it from occurring.

School districts are also required to create a safe, supportive environment for transgender students including:

  • School districts shall ensure that a transgender student is addressed at school by the name and pronoun chosen by the student, regardless of whether a legal name change or a change in official school records has occurred.
  • A school district shall accept a student's asserted gender identity. Parental consent is not required and no documentation is required to have a student's gender identity recognized by the school district.
  • A transgender student shall be allowed to dress in accordance with their gender identity.
  • All students are entitled access to restrooms, locker rooms, and changing facilities in accordance with their gender identity to allow for involvement in various school programs and activities.
  • During gender-separated classes or athletic activities, all students must be allowed to participate in a manner consistent with their gender identity.
  • School districts shall issue school documentation for a transgender student, such as student identification cards, in the name chosen by the student.
  • School district personnel are not required to notify a student's parent or guardian of the student's gender identity or expression.

To learn more about what to do if your child is being bullied or harassed at school, refer to this article.

To learn more about your child's civil rights, refer to this article.

If you believe your child's school or school district is not following the required policies, report it to your county's Office of Education and they will investigate.

If you believe your child's civil rights were violated, you can file a complaint with the NJ Division on Civil Rights within 180 days of the incident.

If you believe a law has been broken, you may contact the police. If the incident happened at school or could affect your child at school, you can also inform school officials so they can take the proper precautions to protect your child.

You should contact the police and school officials if:

  • A threat is made to your child's life or physical safety
  • Your child arrives home from school showing signs of severe physical or emotional abuse, which may include cuts, bruises, welts or acting excessively withdrawn and depressed
  • Your child's personal belongings have been stolen or severely damaged while at school
  • Your child complains or shows signs of inappropriate sexual contact

Updating IDs

For detailed instructions on how to update your child's IDs and official records, refer to these step-by-step guides:

Note: Updating your child's official IDs begins with getting a court order to legally change their name. With that court order, you can update your child's driver's license, birth certificate, passport, and Social Security card so they match who they are. To learn how, refer to our step-by step guide to changing your name.