How do I update my U.S. passport?

Last Updated: 05/09/2023

To update your name on your U.S Passport, you will need to fill out a form (the exact form depends on how old your passport is and the type of renewal you need) and submit your most recent U.S. passport, a passport photo, a certified copy of the court order granting your legal name change if you have it, and the application fee.

Depending on the type of renewal, you may apply by mail or in-person at a passport acceptance facility.

You can also update your gender marker on your passport when you update your name, or you can do it at another time. Medical documentation is NOT required, and the gender you select does NOT need to match your existing IDs.

For a detailed guide to this process, see below.

Updating Your Name

Due to the many options to renew your passport, refer to the U.S. State Department's detailed guide to changing your name on your passport and choose the option that best fits your needs.

Updating Your Gender Marker

To update your gender on your U.S. Passport, fill out the form that fits your specific type of renewal, select the gender that matches your identity, and check the "yes" box next to it. You can do this on the same form you are using to update your name.

To respect the rights and privacy of transgender individuals, medical documentation is no longer required, and the gender you select does NOT need to match your existing documents like your birth certificate or state ID.

Depending on the specifics of your application, you may be able to apply by mail or apply in-person at a passport acceptance facility.

You may select X for unspecified or another gender identity as your gender marker on your U.S. Passport, however that option is only available for those applying for a passport with routine service – not rush requests.

In late 2023, you will be able to select X as a marker on expedited or urgent travel service passport requests as well as on passport cards, emergency passports printed at embassies, and consulates, and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad.

For more information, refer to the U.S State Department's guide to updating your gender marker on your passport.

Note: You may face entry restrictions in countries that do not recognize the X gender marker, and you may not be guaranteed entry or transit through those countries. Before you travel, check with the foreign embassy or consulate in the United States.